Chelsea Gubecka has always loved being in the water and started “learn to swim” lessons when she was five months old. Her passion for swimming grew and grew and by the time she was eight she took an interest in competitions across swimming and surf life- saving.
- Discipline: 200 butterfly, 10 km Marathon Swimming
- Date of Birth: 08/09/1998
- Birthplace: Nambour
- Nickname: Machine
- Sporting Idol: Susie O Neill
- Favourite Quote: “ its not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog”
- Biggest challenge: Competing in the World Champs 25km in 2015 as a 16 year old
- Instagram Account: @chelsea_gubecka
At age 14, Chelsea had seven Junior National titles in the pool and had expanded her horizons by having a go at Open Water Swimming. In 2013, Chelsea won her first Open Water Senior National title and was selected to represent Australia at the World Championships in Barcelona. A streak of 8 Senior National titles followed.
Away from the pool Chelsea is a student at University of Queensland studying Exercise and Nutrition Science. She also assists coaching the next generation at the Yeronga Park Swimming Complex.